Weighing Dee Gordon | Forum

Thema Ort: Forum Home » General » General Chat
jackky bruce Aug 12

Dee Gordon may be the skinniest baseball player I have ever seen. The revelation was certainly one of my most profound only at that years Futures Game, which might tell you a few things: a) I'm not a scout, and b) Dee Gordon is salomon Speedcross 3 Men really skinny. Ive looked for the very best image evidence I'm able to find try here or here but its really something that should be seen to become believed. Someone pointed out to me that Eric Davis was probably that skinny, but Eric Davis was also 6-foot-2. He'd room to, and eventually did, put on some weight. Gordon is listed at 5-11, and at best, could probably push his generous listing to 160 pounds if he packs on Ten pounds of muscle over the next decade. And even then, hell probably actually weigh about 140.

The probably-shouldnt-have-taken-me-this-long revelation has since really altered the way I considered Gordon as a prospect. In the offseason, it seemed that Gordon was discu sed in prospect circles in the same neighborhood as Starlin Castro. With the worth of hindsight on my side, I needed to consider the comparisonmore thoroughly. Its important to put Gordons size into context.

Since 1990, Baseball-Reference finds 131 player seasons in which a player listed at-or-below 160 pounds qualified for that batting title. It Salomon Speedcross 3 CS Women seems some of the people listings like 1999 Deivi Cruz were generous, but well run with it. After tallying these 131 seasons, I found that, cumulatively, this lightweight division hit .278/.346/.386, which would put their wOBA in the .320s and their wRAA at a few runs below league average. Their BABIP was .305, so that as an organization, they stole 2602 bases in 3,620 chances, succe sful rate of 71.9%. Certainly not too far from the 72.6 mark that Gordon what food was in this year in the Southern League.

The numbers dontactually seem terrible, but its important to look at upside here. Only 21 player seasons had a slugging percentage above .440, and in that group, 12 of them stolefewer than 15 bases within their season of work. Players such as the aged versions of Lou Whitaker and Tony Phillips arent good comps for Gordon, and neither are players like Deivi Cruz, Shane Halter, or the bulked-up form of Juan Encarnacion (did the Tigers only Salomon Speedcross 4 Women scout skinny players from 1980-2000?). Speed is the name of Gordons game he hasswiped 144 bases in 324 minor league games also it should hold true for players with whom we are comparing him. Therefore, I chopped off the 72 player seasons in which the player didnt steal more than 15 (arbitrary number alert! Selection bias understood!) bases.

Surprisingly, when we remove that group, the numbers improve. The 59 player seasons remaining hit .288/.355/.387, the bump due to a rise in BABIP, which increased to .316. It ought to also be mentioned that this group stole bases at a 74.9% clip. Peripherally, they averaged a strikeout rate of 12 salomon Kids Running Shoes .0%, along with a walk rate of 9.1% versus Gordons career minor league rates of 16.0% and 6.5%, respectively. There is clearly try to be done in those columns for that young Dodgers shortstop.

The problem with this group, in my eyes, is one of potential. Considering that Gordon doesn't po se s, nor profile to own, any capacity to talk about, hes not going to have seasons like Lenny Dykstra in 1993, Julio Franco in 1991, or Damion Easley in 1997. The literal ceiling for any player with his skillset is Lance Johnson in 1996: .333/.362/.479, great for a .369 wOBA, and, with +17 operates on defense, a 6.5 WAR. And this is from a guy having a career strikeout rate of seven.1%. For which its worth, listed here are players which had 3 or even more seasons that fit my criteria (1990 Salomon Speedcross 3 CS Men -2010,